The State Department just announced that the US Ambassador to Ethiopia Geeta Pasi “plans to retire to pursue other opportunities.” Foggy Bottom has appointed Ambassador Tracey Ann Jacobson, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Career Minister, to serve as Chargé d’Affaires, ad interim, at the Embassy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Ambassador Pasi was nominated ambassador in June 2020. She was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on December 22, 2020.
The official statement says “The Department of State expresses its great appreciation to Ambassador Pasi, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Career Minister, for her distinguished public service in advancing the values and interests of the United States around the globe, a career marked by three ambassadorial assignments and senior State Department leadership positions in Washington, D.C. We are particularly grateful for her stewardship of Embassy Addis Ababa during an exceptionally complex period.”
Ambassador Jacobson retired from the State Department in 2017. She was most recently appointed as Afghanistan Task Force Director in July 2021 during the Department’s Operation Allies Refuge.
US ambassador to #Ethiopia Geeta Pasi retiring to "pursue other opportunities." Former ambassador to #Kosovo #Tajikistan #Turkmenistan Tracey Ann Jacobson to serve as charge a.i.https://t.co/11zvTY2AYP
— Julian Pecquet (@JulianPecquet) January 31, 2022
#Ethiopia: #US Ambassador to Ethiopia Geeta Pasi is set to retire to pursue other opportunities. Ambassador Tracey Ann Jacobson, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, will serve as Chargé d’Affaires, ad interim, at the Embassy in #AddisAbaba. pic.twitter.com/a6k2F6OhhO
— Walta FM 105.3 (@walta105fm) January 31, 2022
"We all want to see #Ethiopia on a strong economic growth and reform trajectory, where trade is growing, and the economy is expanding. The United States and Ethiopia have long enjoyed a strong partnership between our governments and our people. " -Ambassador Pasi @AmChamEthiopia pic.twitter.com/rDDvOuEpvi
— U.S. Embassy Addis (@USEmbassyAddis) January 28, 2022
- More on Operation Allies Refuge With D/MR McKeon, Amb. Jacobson and SSDO #1 On Background July 2021
- US Embassy Ethiopia Now Under “Authorized Departure” Order #voluntaryevac Nov 2021
- US Embassy Ethiopia Urges U.S. Citizens to Depart Now Using Commercial Air Nov 2021
- State/AF PDAS Geeta Pasi to be U.S. Ambassador to Ethiopia June 2020
- More Departures: John Heffern (EUR), Tracey Ann Jacobson (IO), Bill Brownfield (INL) Aug 2017
- Officially In: Tracey Ann Jacobson — from FSI to Kosovo Jan 2012
- Officially In: Geeta Pasi to Djibouti April 2011