We have been a reader-supported blog since 2014. We want to keep this blog as open as possible and that’s the reason we don’t have a subscription fee. You know best whether our work is of value to you or not. If it is, and if your circumstances allow it, we could use your help to carry on for another year: Help Diplopundit Get to Year 10 ⚡️
Posted: 3:52 pm PT
Last week, the U.S. Embassy in Bamako issued a security message concerning “a possible increased threat of attacks against Western diplomatic missions, places of worship, and other locations in Bamako where Westerners frequent.” (See Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Increased Threat of Attacks in Bamako (9 June, 2017).
On Sunday, June 18, gunmen reportedly attacked a tourist resort in Mali popular with Westerners. According to BBC News, the gunmen have stormed the luxury resort Le Campement Kangaba, east of the capital Bamako. The report citing the country’s security minister says that two people are dead, and that the hostages have been released. Two other people had reportedly been injured including a civilian, and that 32 guests had been rescued from the resort.
The U.S. Embassy in Mali says that the resort is 30 minutes southeast of the capital city. We understand that all our embassy folks are fine. State/OSAC is urging travelers in Mali to check in with their families and friends. See related posts below for previous security reports on this hotspot.
- @StateDept Honors DSS Agents For Heroism in the Radisson Blu Hotel Attack in Mali Sept 2016
- U.S. Embassy Bamako: Family Members on ‘Authorized Departure’ From Mali. Again. July 2016
- Photo of the Day: The Room Numbers on His Arm July 2016
- @StateDept Terminates ‘Authorized Departure’ Status for Adana (Turkey) and Bamako (Mali) Mar 2016
- Bamako Hotel With EU Training Mission Targeted, US Embassy Mali Cancels Consular Services For 3/22, March 22, 1016
- @StateDept Terminates ‘Authorized Departure’ Status for Adana (Turkey) and Bamako (Mali) March 1, 2016
- US Embassy Mali Now on Authorized Departure For Non-Emergency Staff and Family Members Dec 2015
- US Embassy Bamako Lifts Shelter in Place Advisory After Radisson Blu Hotel Attack in Mali Nov 2015
- U.S. Senate Confirms Two Ambassadors and 6 Foreign Service Lists Before Memorial Day Break May 2015
- US Embassy Mali Issues Security Message on La Terrasse Suspects At-Large, Potential Future Attacks Mar 2015