13 Going on 14 — GFM: https://gofund.me/32671a27
Ambassador Sung Y. Kim is currently the senior official for the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs pending the confirmation of Ambassador Daniel J. Kritenbrink as Assistant Secretary of State for EAP bureau. On May 21, President Biden announced that Ambassador Kim will serve as the new U.S. special envoy for North Korea.
Below is his official bio from US Embassy Jakarta:
Ambassador Sung Y. Kim was nominated to be the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Indonesia on July 17, 2019 and confirmed by the full Senate on August 6, 2020.
Ambassador Sung Y. Kim most recently served as Ambassador to the Republic of the Philippines from November 2016 until October 2020. From 2011 to 2014, he was the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Korea. In between the two ambassadorships, Ambassador Kim served as Special Representative for North Korea Policy in Washington.
Earlier, Ambassador Kim also served as the Special Envoy for the Six-Party Talks with the rank of Ambassador. His previous overseas diplomatic assignments have included Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, and Hong Kong. Prior to joining the Foreign Service, he worked as a prosecutor in Los Angeles, California.
Ambassador Kim was born in Seoul, Korea, and grew up in Los Angeles. He earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania and completed a degree in law from Loyola University. He also holds a Master of Laws degree from the London School of Economics and honorary doctorates from the Catholic University of Korea and the Holy Name University of the Philippines. Ambassador Kim is married and has two daughters.
Biden announces Amb. Sung Kim will serve as the U.S. special envoy to North Korea — something @SueMiTerry predicted could be a small victory out of the summit for South Korea. https://t.co/NfN00EuH4n
— Jacqueline Feldscher (@jacqklimas) May 21, 2021
Who is Sung Kim, the American diplomat leading talks with the North Koreans? https://t.co/IJ0SjjgusV pic.twitter.com/suZOGWkShP
— NK NEWS (@nknewsorg) June 3, 2018
Biden asks Sung Kim to stand, makes eye contact & thanks him for taking on the job… POTUS blessing was lacking in the appts of predecessors– I'm sure Choe Son Hui will take note✌️ Encouraging signhttps://t.co/pXvXDl6pAp
— John Delury (@JohnDelury) May 21, 2021
- U.S. Embassy Manila’s Amb. Sung Y. Kim to be the Next U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia July 2019
- US Formally Returns #BalangigaBells to the Philippines 2018
- Confirmations: Goldstein, Lawler, Johnson, Gonzales, and Four New Career Ministers 2017
- US Embassy Manila: Ambassador Sung Kim Presents His Credentials to President Duterte Dec 2016
- Secretary @JohnKerry Swears-In Sung Kim as U.S. Ambassador to the #Philippines Nov 2016
- Ambassador Nomination: Sung Y. Kim — From North Korea Special Rep to the Philippines June 2016
- Gangnam Style Intern Flash “Mob” Invades US Embassy Seoul, Then Psy Shows Up 2012
- Photo of the Day: Ambassador Kim Shows His Fashion Sense at “2012 World of Calvin Klein” 2012
- Officially In: Sung Y. Kim to Seoul 2011
You must be logged in to post a comment.