We previously wrote about this last summer. Mike Pompeo’s Kansas Run: He’s Running, He’s Not …He’s Running, He’s … He’s …. So, if he’s staying put in Foggy Bottom and this Admin ends after one term in November, he’ll be the ex-70th secretary of state by January 2021. If Admin gets a second term, not sure this guy would hang around for another four years. Well, he could, obviously, and leave in the middle of the term, then run for higher office. No, not the Kansas seat, silly.
If he runs for the Kansas seat this election cycle, there’s a high likelihood that he could win that seat. We understand that Kansas has not elected a Democratic senator since the 1930s. The last Democrat to serve in the U.S. Senate from Kansas is George McGill; he served from 1930-1939. He apparently is also one of only three Democrats to represent Kansas in the U.S. Senate. Anyways, if Pompey runs for the Senate and wins, he’ll be on a six-year term from January 3, 2021 until January 3, 2027 whether Trump is reelected or not. But he’ll be the junior senator from Kansas, in a majority or minority party, no longer fourth in the presidential line of succession, and no more official planes!
Where can he best position himself for a potential run in 2024?
Staring at a messy Senate primary in Kansas, Mitch McConnell is pushing for Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to jump into the race https://t.co/fJzbe0y8eI
— POLITICO (@politico) May 14, 2020
McConnell on if he's been pushing Secretary of State Pompeo to run for the Kansas seat: "That's been my hope, you can see how well I've done so far," he said, laughing.
Do you still want him to?
"The filing deadline is June 1 so i guess the suspense wont last much longer."
— Josh Wingrove (@josh_wingrove) May 14, 2020
During a meeting at the White House about two weeks ago, Trump encouraged Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to reconsider running for Senate in Kansas. But Pompeo isn't going to run. The tensions reflect nervousness about Senate map for GOP. w/@John_Hudson: https://t.co/tctTfe6pC1
— Josh Dawsey (@jdawsey1) May 14, 2020
Sec. State Pompeo has made 4 visits to Kansas this year, 3 of them tax-payer funded official visits. He tells journalists he is not running for Senate. Here, Kansas City Star calls him out on that & says the trips look like personal campaign travel. https://t.co/LILnVfjg91
— Edward Wong (@ewong) October 25, 2019
- Pompeo Reportedly Consulting With Mega-Donors For Kansas Senate Run Dec 2019
- “UberEats With Guns”, Susan Pompeo, and Don’t Forget Sherman
- Pompeo Heads to Iowa, Texas, Kansas – And Where Else? That’s a Ridiculous Question!
- Secretary Pompeo and Susan Pompeo Travels to Kansas, then to Kuwait, Next to Israel and Lebanon
- Mike Pompeo’s Kansas Run: He’s Running, He’s Not …He’s Running, He’s … He’s …
- Secretary Pompeo Gives a Speech in Indiana, Next Week He’ll Deliver a Lecture in Kansas #hesnotrunning
- Pompeo: “I’m flattered when people say Mike will be a good United States senator representing Kansas.”
- With Foggy Bottom Under Attack, Pompeo Jets Off to Kansas For Ahem… Workforce Development
- SFRC Ranking Member Menendez Calls For OSC Hatch Act Review Into Pompeo’s Kansas Travel
- Pompeo Wants to Go Home to Kansas? So When’s the Audition For Next SecState?