Posted: 4:18 am ET
SmartBrief is a digital media publisher of targeted business news and information by industry. It publishes more than 200 niche e-mail newsletters in partnership with leading trade associations and professional societies. One of its directors who manages a team of business news writers/editors reached out to us because he was looking for talent in time zones outside the United States and at diplomatic spouses in particular as a potential talent pool. We’re sharing a job post for a full time job below (we are not paid to do this, we’re looking at the possibility of expanding on job leads in the future as a service to our EFM readers). We may be able to share job leads for part-time jobs in the future if there is a good response. Check this out and send us feedback when you can.
Finance Editor (Overnight)
- Job Description
- SmartBrief seeks full-time finance editor — midnight to 8 a.m. EST weekdays
Can you condense the day’s most important news into a roundup of two-sentence summaries?
Can you work with association and corporate clients to deliver quality newsletters that keep their industries informed?
Can you meet multiple daily deadlines?
Then you’re the person for us!
SmartBrief is seeking a full-time finance editor for daily email newsletters covering global financial news. Candidates would need to be available to work between midnight and 8 a.m. EST Monday through Friday.
This is a TELECOMMUTING position. Candidates based in Europe are strongly encouraged to apply.
What we’re looking for: Someone who thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-intensive, newsroom-style work environment. The ideal candidate has worked as a finance writer or editor for a newspaper, trade journal or industry publication with multiple daily deadlines. Candidates with experience in corporate communications at a financial services firm will also be considered. Knowledge of industry trends and global financial regulatory reform initiatives would be a HUGE plus. Our briefs summarize the top stories of the day for dozens of industry associations, and our editors work with freelancers to shape that content.
Applicants will be asked to complete timed writing and editing tests.
- Identify news stories for inclusion in SmartBrief’s finance and business newsletters.
- Edit news summaries for grammar, style and tone for a particular audience.
- Use online publishing tools to create email newsletters and other content.
- Manage relationships with associations, corporations and other business clients as well as freelance writers and other content providers.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Proven writing and editing skills. Alternative: Three to five years of experience in a communications or research role with a news organization, consulting firm, trade association or other relevant group.
- Ability to write and edit quickly and accurately on deadline.
- Sophisticated understanding of how to find news and information on the Web.
- Facility for using online publishing tools.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Proven record of sharing responsibilities and managing multiple projects/deadlines simultaneously.
Founded in 1999, SmartBrief is the leader in customized e-mail news services and reaches top-flight executives in a variety of markets, including advertising, retail, hospitality, telecom, health care and consumer packaged goods. We’re expanding rapidly and looking for exceptional, motivated individuals to join our team. At SmartBrief, employees enjoy an entrepreneurial work environment with accelerated advancement opportunities. SmartBrief is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Job Location
- Telecommute (Candidates based in Europe are strongly encouraged to apply.), , United States
- Position Type
See the original job post and application page here.