Once a year, we ask for your support to keep this blog and your dedicated blogger going. So here we are on Week #7 of our eight-week annual fundraising. Our previous funding ran out in August 2020. We recognize that blogging life has no certainty, and this year is no exception. If you care what we do here, please see GFM: https://gofund.me/32671a27. We could use your help. Grazie! Merci! Gracias!
On April 23, 2021, Secretary Blinken announced the appointment of former U.S. Ambassador Jeffrey Feltman as the U.S. Special Envoy for the Horn of Africa:
Today, I am announcing that Jeffrey Feltman will serve as the U.S. Special Envoy for the Horn of Africa. This appointment underscores the Administration’s commitment to lead an international diplomatic effort to address the interlinked political, security, and humanitarian crises in the Horn of Africa. Having held senior positions in both the State Department and the United Nations, Special Envoy Feltman is uniquely suited to bring decades of experience in Africa and the Middle East, in multilateral diplomacy, and in negotiation and mediation to develop and execute an integrated U.S. strategy to address these complex regional issues.
Of particular concern are the volatile situation in Ethiopia, including the conflict in Tigray; escalating tensions between Ethiopia and Sudan; and the dispute around the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam. At a moment of profound change for this strategic region, high-level U.S. engagement is vital to mitigate the risks posed by escalating conflict while providing support to once-in-a-generation opportunities for reform.
Today I announced Jeffrey Feltman as the U.S. Special Envoy for the Horn of Africa. He will lead a comprehensive diplomatic effort to address the interlinked political, security, and humanitarian crises in the region. pic.twitter.com/F55bozgOZq
— Secretary Antony Blinken (@SecBlinken) April 24, 2021
Secretary of State Blinken names a new special envoy for the Horn of Africa region. @columlynch and I first broke the news last month that Jeffrey Feltman would be tapped for the post: https://t.co/9PVvzlAYAG pic.twitter.com/mPlK9ZEGc5
— Robbie Gramer (@RobbieGramer) April 23, 2021
NEW: Jeff Feltman is US Envoy to Horn of Africa
— Joyce Karam (@Joyce_Karam) April 23, 2021
- Diplomatic Security Investigating as Many as 130 Former/Current @StateDept Officials Over Clinton Emails Oct 2019
- State Dept’s Crocker, Feltman on May Departures … Leaving Posts in Nine Days? May 2012
- Say Goodbye to NEA Bureau Boss, Jeffrey Feltman May 2012
- Near Eastern Affairs Bureau in Action Gets High Marks: Outstanding Job, High Morale Amidst Intense Workload and Regional Chaos July 2011
- Newest US Consulate General Opens in Basrah, Iraq July 2011
- State Department’s 2009 Presidential Rank Awards and Awesome Curiosity Sept 2010
- SFRC Clears Feltman, Crowley & Benjamin May 2009
- Officially In: Jeffrey D. Feltman to the NEA Bureau April 2009