“Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has reached out to Sheldon Adelson, the Republican Party’s largest donor, in recent weeks to “gauge interest” in his potential run for an open Senate seat in Kansas next year, three sources familiar with the matter told McClatchy.
It is the latest evidence of Pompeo’s outreach campaign to rally donor support around a potential Senate bid, following similar conversations with Charles Koch, a Kansas resident, as well as donors affiliated with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.
Pompeo has flirted with the race for months, and President Donald Trump said on Tuesday in London that he would encourage his secretary of state to leave office and run if he believed Republicans were at risk of losing the seat.”
Also, while in London, he reportedly also attended “an off-the-books sit-down meeting with a conservative group that included a small number of wealthy Republican donors, which was not on his official schedule” according to CNN. The report says that “The State Department did not reply to a request for comment on Pompeo’s visit with the Hamilton Society.” That seems to be the trends these days; folks must be very busy updating his Miles With Mike scrapbook they just had no time to respond to a reporter’s inquiry.
When he officially runs, will the flag officer’s home gets liberated to return to the Defense Department?
- “UberEats With Guns”, Susan Pompeo, and Don’t Forget Sherman
- Pompeo Heads to Iowa, Texas, Kansas – And Where Else? That’s a Ridiculous Question!
- Secretary Pompeo and Susan Pompeo Travels to Kansas, then to Kuwait, Next to Israel and Lebanon
- Mike Pompeo’s Kansas Run: He’s Running, He’s Not …He’s Running, He’s … He’s …
- Secretary Pompeo Gives a Speech in Indiana, Next Week He’ll Deliver a Lecture in Kansas #hesnotrunning
- Pompeo: “I’m flattered when people say Mike will be a good United States senator representing Kansas.”
- With Foggy Bottom Under Attack, Pompeo Jets Off to Kansas For Ahem… Workforce Development
- SFRC Ranking Member Menendez Calls For OSC Hatch Act Review Into Pompeo’s Kansas Travel
- Pompeo Wants to Go Home to Kansas? So When’s the Audition For Next SecState?
Exclusive: Pompeo had off-the-books meeting with Republican donors in London this week – CNNPolitics https://t.co/0q6UiCKZMg
— Shimon Prokupecz (@ShimonPro) December 5, 2019
.@SenPatRoberts says Trump discussed possibility that Kansas seat could flip with GOP senators last month ahead of floating Pompeo candidacy in recent days: “I think it means, to Mike, that the door’s open – you can make a choice." https://t.co/sM92lE7lra
— Bryan Lowry (@BryanLowry3) December 3, 2019
U.S. diplomats are starting to fill the void increasingly left by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s political aspirations in Kansas and President Donald Trump’s impeachment crisis in Washington, @stevenacook writes.https://t.co/TEw9sXmdX1
— Foreign Policy (@ForeignPolicy) December 5, 2019