The State Department recently announced the opening of its Venezuela Affairs Unit (VAU) under the leadership of Charge d’Affaires James Story at the US Embassy in Bogota, Colombia:
The VAU is the interim diplomatic office of the U.S. Government to Venezuela, located at the U.S. Embassy in Bogota, Colombia, and has been established with bipartisan support from the U.S. Congress. The VAU is continuing the U.S. mission to the legitimate Government of Venezuela and to the Venezuelan people. The VAU will continue to work for the restoration of democracy and the constitutional order in that country, and the security and well-being of the Venezuelan people.
The VAU interacts with the government of interim president Juan Guaido, the democratically elected National Assembly, Venezuelan civil society, and the people of Venezuela. The United States welcomes the support of the Government of Colombia, which is a further demonstration of its steadfast commitment to democracy and peace in the region.
The United States stands with interim President Juan Guaido, the National Assembly, and the people of Venezuela as they seek to regain their democracy.
Media inquiries about the VAU should be sent to VAUMediaUnit@state.gov.
- Pompeo Announces Departure of All Remaining U.S. Embassy Caracas Diplomats From Venezuela (March 2019)
- @SecPompeo Announces Withdrawal of All US Personnel From Venezuela, Also Who Needs the Next Curveball? (March 2019)
- Venezuela Special Envoy Elliot Abrams Gets a Protest, and a Grilling in Congress (February 2019)
- @SecPompeo Appoints Elliott Abrams, Iran-Contra Figure to “Help” Restore Democracy in Venezuela January 2019
- U.S. Sanctions Venezuela’s State-Owned Oil Company Petroleos de Venezuela, S.A. January 2019
- Pompeo on US Embassy Venezuela: US to “take all appropriate measures to ensure that they’re protected.” And if they’re not? January 2019
- US Embassy Venezuela Now on Mandatory Evacuation For Non-Emergency Staff and Family Members January 2019
- @StateDept to Venezuela’s Maduro: You can’t break up with U.S. or PNG our unpaid diplomats! January 2019
- Maduro Breaks U.S. Diplomatic Relations, PNGs Diplomats But — USG Now Recognizes Guaido as Venezuela President January 2019
- Venezuela Expels US Embassy Caracas CDA Todd Robinson, DCM Brian Naranjo #48Hours May 2018
- @StateDept Orders Evacuation of US Embassy Venezuela Family Members, Authorizes Departure of Employees July 2017
- US Embassy Venezuela: Appointment Wait Time For Visas Now at 999 Days June 2016
- Venezuela Kicks Out Top US Diplomat, Two Other Officials For … Wait For It ….Blackouts! Oct 2013
- US Embassy Caracas: Where do I begin, to tell the story of how bad a post can get? (February 2012)
The #Venezuela Affairs Unit (VAU) will be headed by James Story, the U.S. charge d’affaires to #Venezuela, who was among the last American diplomats withdrawn from the U.S. embassy in #Caracas in March as conditions deteriorated in the country. https://t.co/BOGPp22DOg
— Reuters Venezuela (@ReutersVzla) August 28, 2019
#EXCLUSIVA | $ 200 mil millones se han sustraído de #Venezuela por el régimen y no se sabe dónde están. Esto según el encargado de negocios de #EEUU para #Venezuela James Story (@usembassyve) | Por: @jogonzalezc | Lee más "_ https://t.co/x6uJyUTqeL pic.twitter.com/3LYAh2Fcch
— CaraotaDigital (@CaraotaDigital) September 8, 2019
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) September 1, 2019
The diplomatic jujitsu is a reflection of a dawning reality: Maduro remains as in charge today as ever, conducting the nation’s business, despite recognition of Guaido by more than 50 capitals. @SamyAdghirni tells the story: https://t.co/ZM60kBgUbL (2/2)
— Patricia Laya (@PattyLaya) August 30, 2019