So cracked.com has a list of the 6 Most Terrifying Food in the World and the U.S. diplomatic mission in the Philippines has a surprise for all of us!
6) Mexico’s Escamoles – the eggs of the giant black Liometopum ant, which makes its home in the root systems of maguey and agave plants
5) Italy’s Cazu Marzu — this is a sheep’ milk cheese that has been deliberately infested by a Piophila casei, the “cheese fly” which results in “a maggot-ridden, weeping stink bomb in an advanced state of decomposition”
4) Norway’s Lutefisk – this is “a traditional Norwegian dish featuring cod that has been steeped for many days in a solution of lye, until its flesh is caustic enough to dissolve silver cutlery”
3) Korea’s Baby Mice Wine “a traditional Chinese and Korean “health tonic,” which apparently tastes like raw gasoline”
2) Iraq’s Pacha or to put it simply, boiled sheep’ head, and as the cracked writers put it, “Burp while ye may,” the sockets say, “for the same fate will happen to you–and all too soon.”
1) Philippines’ Balut – “duck eggs that have been incubated until the fetus is all feathery and beaky, and then boiled alive. The bones give the eggs a uniquely crunchy texture.”
Below is a video clip of our diplomats in the Philippines eating not #6 or #2; they had to show us how to eat #1, those “crunchy” baby duck eggs!!!
NOTE: We have no/no plans of trying any of them anytime soon, thank you very much but let us know if your post has a video to share.
For #WorldTourismDay, we are taking Americans on a food trip featuring different dishes and delicacies from all over the #Philippines. 🇵🇭🇵🇭🇵🇭 pic.twitter.com/kLMoDmpST5
— U.S. Embassy in the Philippines (@USEmbassyPH) September 27, 2018