Posted: 1:09 am ET
We’ve written several blogposts (see below) about the lack of sexual assault guidance in the Foreign Affairs Manual, most recently in May this year (see A #SexualAssault Reporting Process Foreign Service Members Deserve: How Much Longer Secretary #Tillerson?).
On June 6, the State Department finally issued a new Foreign Affairs Manual sub-chapter 1710 SEXUAL ASSAULTS INVOLVING CHIEF OF MISSION PERSONNEL AND FACILITIES but it was not made available online. On June 20, a FAM revision was made according to the Change Transmittal to correct the subchapter title, specifying that the subchapter pertains to matters outside the United States, as well as to update a few other references. The chapter is now available online for folks to read.
You may also read it below; use the lower-right hand arrow to maximize the Cloudup page.
We’re still reading though this. We hope to have a follow-up post later. For now we want to say thank you to the FS members who shared their difficult stories with us and our readers; to former U/S Patrick Kennedy for the creation of the inter-bureau taskforce to create this subchapter; to the members of the task force who did the work on this, and Secretary Kerry then, and Secretary Tillerson now who oversees the Department and the Foreign Service.
Sexual Assault Related posts:
- A #SexualAssault Reporting Process Foreign Service Members Deserve: How Much Longer Secretary #Tillerson? May 22, 2017
- Former DCM’s Spouse Labib Chammas Gets 30 Months in Prison For Sexual Abuse of Household Staff Member Jan 2017
- @StateDept Task Force For New Sexual Assault FAM Guidance – An Update (Dec 2016)
- From Someone Who Has Unfortunately Been There: Sexual Assault Trauma Triage in the Foreign Service Nov 23, 2016
- U/S For Management Directs Task Force to Create New Sexual Assault FAM Guidance) Nov 22, 2016
- A Sexual Assault Reporting Process Foreign Service Members Deserve: If Not Now, When? Attn: @JohnKerryNovember 22, 2016
- First Person: I am a ✂️ FSO who was ✂️ raped in ✂️… Continuing on has been ✂️ incredibly difficult…November 21, 2016
- First Person: I did everything right. I filed a report the next business day … #FSassaultNovember 22, 2016
- Sexual Assault in the Foreign Service — What To Do?November 18, 2016
- Another Note About the Burn Bag–There’s No Easy Way of Doing This, Is There? Nov 13, 2016
- Anonymous Letter Outs Sexual Abuse of Household Staff, Former DCM’s Husband Pleads Guilty (Oct 2016)
- OPM: Guidance For Agency-Specific Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Stalking Policies Nov 21, 2016
- The State Dept’s Sexual Assault Reporting Procedure Appears to Be a Black Hole of Grief Sept 21, 2016
- Sexual Assault at a State Dept-Leased Apartment: If This Isn’t Abysmal Failure, What Is It? Sept 2016
- A Joke That Wasn’t, and a State Department Dialogue That Is Long Overdue Aug 2016
- Peace Corps Assault Victims in Need of Ongoing Therapy Not a Good Fit For Peace Corps Service? Dec 2015
- Ex-State Dept Employee Settles Housekeeper’s Claim Over Slavery and Rape Sept 2015
- State Dept Security Officer Alleged Sexual Misconduct: Spans 10 Years, 7 Posts Oct 2014
- Foreign Service Specialist Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Traveling to Engage in Illicit Sexual Conduct Aug 2013
- Court Awards $3.3 Million Default Judgment Against State Dept Couple Accused of Slavery and Rape of Housekeeper Sept 2012
- Former CIA Station Chief to Algeria Gets 65 Months for Sexual Assault on Embassy Property March 2011
You must be logged in to post a comment.