Posted: 8:55 pm PT
We’ve written several blogposts on sexual assaults and/or the lack of clear sexual assault reporting guidance in the Foreign Service in 2016 (see The State Dept’s Sexual Assault Reporting Procedure Appears to Be a Black Hole of Grief and First Person: I am a ✂️ FSO who was ✂️ raped in ✂️… Continuing on has been ✂️ incredibly difficult… and other links below).
On November 22 last year, the State Department directed a task force to create a new section in the Foreign Affairs Manual for sexual assault (see U/S For Management Directs Task Force to Create New Sexual Assault FAM Guidance). In December, we posted an update when the State Department told us that “The Department is committed to the work the taskforce is doing to create a sexual assault section for the FAM, work that will continue past inauguration day.” (see @StateDept Task Force For New Sexual Assault FAM Guidance – An Update). Through the last few months we have regularly checked in with the State Department to follow-up on the new regulations.
Today is exactly six months to the day when an inter-bureau taskforce was directed to create a new section in the Foreign Affairs Manual for guidance on sexual assault. The State Department’s Bureau of Public Affairs — that in the past had been responsive in assuring us that the agency is committed to the creation of the sexual assault regulations — did not acknowledge nor respond to our inquiry as of this writing.
So let’s ask their boss — how much longer Secretary Tillerson before the Foreign Service gets its sexual assault reporting guidance?
Sexual Assault Related posts:
- @StateDept Task Force For New Sexual Assault FAM Guidance – An Update (Dec 2016)
- From Someone Who Has Unfortunately Been There: Sexual Assault Trauma Triage in the Foreign Service Nov 23, 2016
- U/S For Management Directs Task Force to Create New Sexual Assault FAM Guidance) Nov 22, 2016
- A Sexual Assault Reporting Process Foreign Service Members Deserve: If Not Now, When? Attn: @JohnKerryNovember 22, 2016
- First Person: I am a ✂️ FSO who was ✂️ raped in ✂️… Continuing on has been ✂️ incredibly difficult…November 21, 2016
- First Person: I did everything right. I filed a report the next business day … #FSassaultNovember 22, 2016
- Sexual Assault in the Foreign Service — What To Do?November 18, 2016
- Another Note About the Burn Bag–There’s No Easy Way of Doing This, Is There? Nov 13, 2016
- OPM: Guidance For Agency-Specific Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Stalking Policies Nov 21, 2016
- The State Dept’s Sexual Assault Reporting Procedure Appears to Be a Black Hole of Grief Sept 21, 2016
- Sexual Assault at a State Dept-Leased Apartment: If This Isn’t Abysmal Failure, What Is It? Sept 2016
- Anonymous Letter Outs Sexual Abuse of Household Staff, Former DCM’s Husband Pleads Guilty (Oct 2016)
- A Joke That Wasn’t, and a State Department Dialogue That Is Long Overdue Aug 2016
- Peace Corps Assault Victims in Need of Ongoing Therapy Not a Good Fit For Peace Corps Service? Dec 2015
- Ex-State Dept Employee Settles Housekeeper’s Claim Over Slavery and Rape Sept 2015
- State Dept Security Officer Alleged Sexual Misconduct: Spans 10 Years, 7 Posts Oct 2014
- Foreign Service Specialist Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Traveling to Engage in Illicit Sexual Conduct Aug 2013
- Court Awards $3.3 Million Default Judgment Against State Dept Couple Accused of Slavery and Rape of Housekeeper Sept 2012
- Former CIA Station Chief to Algeria Gets 65 Months for Sexual Assault on Embassy Property March 2011
- What happens when America’s ambassadors of hope and compassion return home as victims of rape and institutional neglect? May 2011
You must be logged in to post a comment.