Posted: 3:19 am ET
Ambassador Kristie Kenney announced her final day as a U.S. diplomat on April 28 via Twitter. Ambassador Kenney is a career member of the Senior Foreign Service. She was appointed as the 32nd Counselor of the Department of State in 2016 and she served in that role until she stepped down in February 2017. She served as President George W. Bush’s Ambassador to Ecuador and the Philippines, and President Obama’s Ambassador to Thailand. She was the first female ambassador to both Thailand and the Philippines. Her Washington, D.C assignments include service as the Executive Secretary of the Department of State, Director of the State Department Operations Center, and as a member of the National Security Council staff under President Clinton. She also served in Argentina, Switzerland and Jamaica. She is a recipient of the Secretary of State’s Distinguished Service Award and holds the nation’s highest diplomatic rank of Career Ambassador in the United States Foreign Service (she joined in 1980). She served as the Department of State Transition Coordinator for the 2016-17 Transition.
Looking through social media, it is notable to see that members of the foreign publics have expressed appreciation for the work of a U.S. public servant, while some members of the American public seem to have gone out of their ways to be unpleasant strangers to public servants who faithfully served this country.
We’ve covered Ambassador Kenney in this blog for quite a bit. A trip down memory lane to bid farewell.
- Secretary Tillerson Travels to Germany For G-20, Also @StateDept Counselor Steps Down
- @StateDept Transition Names: Jim Carafano, Kristie Kenney, Patrick Kennedy, Joseph MacManus
- Secretary Kerry Appoints Kristie Kenney as State Department Counselor
- SFRC Clears Three for Personal Rank of Career Ambassador
- Now This — A WH Petition to Remove Amb to Thailand Kristie Kenney For Twitter Selfies
- Ambassador Kristie Kenney on the Runway at Bangkok International Fashion Fair
- Ambassador Kristie Kenney makes online splash before landing in Bangkok
- Sept 22 SFRC Hearings: Kristie Kenney, Karen Stewart
- Three for Three: Ambassador Kristie Kenney to Bangkok
- Probe TV Bids Farewell to Ambassador Kristie Kenney
- US Ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Kenney Blogs Farewell
- Tweet of the Day: Amb @KristieKenney Announces Departure
- It’s Me Kristie: Ambassador Kenney Returns with a Photo Blog
- US Embassy Thailand: Ambassador Kenney and All Get High Marks; OIG Runs Out of Synonyms
- Ambassador Kenney: Under the Sea and More
- Women in the Foreign Service — go own the night like the Fourth of July!