Posted: 12:06 pm PT
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa issued a security message informing U.S. citizens in the Democratic Republic of Congo that U.S. government employees have been instructed to limit their movements to and within Gombe starting on Saturday, December 17. Employees have also been asked to remain in their residences from Saturday at 23:00 until Sunday, December 18 at 05:00.
On Sunday, December 18, a Shelter-in-Place order will go into effect at 19:00.
The U.S. Embassy will be open on Monday, December 19.
U.S. citizens should:
- Remain indoors in a safe location on December 19.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be sure to have extra food, water and medication on hand.
- Establish a communication plan with your friends and family, so they know when to expect to hear from you.
- US Embassy Kinshasa Now on ‘Authorized Departure’ For Non-Emergency Personnel in the DRC Dec 3.2016
- US Embassy Kinshasa Now on ‘Ordered Departure’ For Family Members of USG Employees Sep 30, 2016
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa: American Diplomat Detained With Journalists and Activists in D.R.Congo Raid Marc 15, 2015
- US Embassy Kinshasa Restricts Personnel and Family Members to Residences Until Further Notice Dec 7.2011
- US Embassy Kinshasa Diplomat Reportedly Assaulted by Uruguayan Major in the DRC Nov 25.2011
- Officially In: James F. Entwistle to Kinshasa Jul 5.2010