Posted: 12:30 am ET
We blogged previously about the Philippines’ most unstatesmanlike president, Rodrigo Duterte. On December 3, Mr. Duterte said that he spoke with President-elect Donald J. Trump. According to the Philippine president, President-elect Trump told him that the Philippines was conducting its drug campaign “the right way.” Local media reported that Duterte said of Trump: “He understood the way we are handling it and I said that there’s nothing wrong in protecting a country. It was a bit very encouraging in the sense that I supposed that what he really wanted to say was that, ‘we would be the last to interfere in the affairs of your own country.'”
President-elect Trump reportedly invited Mr. Duterte to visit him in the White House in 2017. According to rappler.com, the Philippine President also invited Mr. Trump to attend the 2017 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit, which will be hosted by the Philippines next year.
- Duterte Announces Break-Up With America Before Applauding Chinese Audience
- Philippine Foreign Minister Wears Out Shoes From Walking Back #DuterteHarry’s Comments
- No Drama Obama Gets Lots of Drama in Asia, Plus Special G20 Surprise in South China Sea
- POTUS in China: A ‘Staircase Snub’, Shouting Matches, and an Apology For a ‘Mistaken’ Tweet
- Philippine President Calls the US Ambassador to Manila WHAT?
Here’s a clip of the Philippine president telling a reporter that he killed about three people … (see the 2:16 mark).