Posted: 1:53 am ET
[twitter-follow screen_name=’Diplopundit’ ]
CBS News is reporting today that the “battle” to become President-elect Donald Trump’s secretary of state appears to be down to three men: former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, 2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney and former CIA Director David Petraeus. CBS News’ Major Garrett reported Tuesday morning that Giuliani is still the likeliest pick — but that as Mr. Trump meets with Romney over dinner in Midtown Manhattan tonight, it’s hard to discount Romney as a top pick as well. “I’m told that Giuliani is still the leading candidate but this dinner with Romney tonight … does add to the atmospheric drama around this whole process,” Garrett said on CBSN.
These are exactly the top three names over at the prediction market with Romney leading at $0.41 now since we did the screen grab below, followed by Giuliani at $.0.26, and Petraeus at $0.12.
Top tier names on predictit breaking above 1¢:
Lower tier names on predictit not breaking above 1¢:
See the SoS predictit page here.
In any case, somebody apparently told Representative Dana Rorahbacher that he is under consideration as secretary of state. He released the following statement for folks who wanted to cast their votes over at the Breitbart News poll.
Link to poll below where 146,450 people apparently voted on who should be the next secretary of state. They picked somebody else!
Meanwhile, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, is still in the running.
And then, the Petraeus crashed Rudy’s party.
President-elect Trump also had dinner at a French restaurant with Mitt Romney and there’s a photo! Somewhere is this photo is an invisible word cloud that says “GOTCHA!” Looks like DJT is so tickled, he might just announced his secretary of state before the season finale.
Nooooo, it’s not Fabio.
And it’s not Mr. Large Wooden Stick. Stopit.
Da end. Until the next update.
- 69th Secretary of State Watch: Giuliani Gets Dinged, Bolton Writes an OpEd, Paul Spikes Transition Ball (Nov 16, 2016)
- Who’s Going to be the 69th Secretary of State? The Rudy Chatter Gets Louder (Nov 15, 2016)
- Who Will be Secretary of State in January 2017? Giuliani and Bolton Reported as Front Runners (Nov 14, 2016)
- Who will be Secretary of State on Jan. 31, 2017? (Oct 2016)
- The Newtster’s Pick for Secretary of State Endorses the Mittster (Jan 2012)
- If the Newtster wins, John Bolton may parachute to the Seventh Floor as 68 (Dec 2011)
- Newtster News: Gingrich to move embassy to Jerusalem on 1st day in office; to restructure State Dept — details in 392 words! (June 2011)