Posted: 12:57 am ET
So hey, we’re hearing that three posts “snuck” onto the 2017 Details/ Training list last week – London, Wellington, and Rome. These are all MFA exchanges where you spend a year in that country’s MFA followed by a three year posting at the Embassy, so essentially a four year posting to a nice place. Bids on these plum jobs are due on September 28 and involve getting reference letters, statements of interest, resumes — all uploaded online.
What we understand is unusual about this is that all the other training opportunities have been on the list since May. (Another source told us that Brussels, Berlin, and Ankara were the only ones on the regular bid cycle for details in June). Which gives bidders without fore knowledge about these new opportunities approximately two weeks to get their act together if they want to make the 9/28 cut.
The other interesting aspect here is that early “handshakes” to people going to priority staffing posts (PSP) were apparently already offered a couple of weeks ago or so. “All the people who would have had priority and would have surely loved to have bid on one of these posts simply could not” because these were not posted until a few days ago.
A Foggy Bottom nightingale believed that a lot more people would bid on these jobs if they knew they’re on the list. But the 2017 Details/ Training list has been out since late spring. So who’s paying attention? Particularly at this time — just days before bids are due — when most people’s attention is on the big list. That is, the summer 2017 bid list that’s going to drop this week.
“Maybe if these plum jobs were publicized, more qualified bidders would act on them,” said by nobody at all.
So the clock’s ticking, there’s still 10 days to make the case for a post in London, Wellington, or Rome. Good luck, y’all!
- Burn Bag: CDA* has been a disaster for entry-level bidding this year? June 2016
- Restoring Faith in the Foreign Service Assignment System Starts With Talking About It March 2016
- Coming Soon to PBS — That CG Istanbul Position Is Apparently Another Foggy Bottom Drama Nov 2015
- Whoa! The Next Consul General in Istanbul Will Be a Political Appointee? Oct 2015
- Burn Bag: The new norm is four years of consular work until … Dec 2015
- London Civil Service Excursion Tour Opens — Oh Wait, It’s Gone, Then It’s Back, Ah Forgetaboutit? June 2013
- Is This Iran Watcher London Position Not Bidlisted About to Go to a “P” Staffer? Oct 2014
- Bidding Sucks, No, Really … August 2009