Posted: 3:04 am ET
[twitter-follow screen_name=’Diplopundit’ ]
James H. McCartney had covered every president from Dwight D. Eisenhower to Bill Clinton. McCartney covered the White House, the State department, the Pentagon and relevant committees on Capitol Hill. He reported from about 30 countries, including Vietnam, the Soviet Union, the Middle East and Europe. After retirement from daily journalism, he taught courses in foreign policy and politics at Georgetown University. McCartney’s papers, including about 4,000 of his articles, are in the Special Collections Research Center at Georgetown University’s Lauringer Library.
Molly Sinclair McCartney worked as a newspaper reporter more than 25 years, including 14 years at the Washington Post. In 2012 she was appointed a Woodrow Wilson Public Scholar in Washington D.C. to do the research and interviews needed to finish America’s War Machine.
“You knew, if you were a government spokesman, that you’d better have it straight and you’d better have the facts, because he’d keep coming at you…He was not there to enhance the government. He was there to inform the people. I didn’t know anyone I respected more than Jim.” ―Hodding Carter, former Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs and State Department spokesman
Book excerpt from America’s War Machine: Vested Interests, Endless Conflicts, courtesy of Amazon Kindle:
[protected-iframe id=”453cf76e739af6939d1c068410a8be6f-31973045-31356973″ info=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?asin=B00VPXAEW0&preview=inline&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_9Syaxb1SZ207S&tag=diplopundit-20″ width=”536″ height=”750″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””]
- Pentagon muscles out State Dept. on foreign aid [Politico, March 2016]
- Perceptions and the Creeping Militarization of US Foreign Policy [The Diplomat, January 2016]
- Why Is No Candidate Offering an Alternative to Militarized U.S. Foreign Policy? [Democracy Now, March 2016]
- Half the Foreign Policy Experts Signing Clinton’s Anti-Sanders Letter Have Ties to Military Contractors [The Intercept, Jan 2016]
- How the Obama White House runs foreign policy [WaPo, August 2015]
- 10 Ways to Fix America’s Ailing State Department [Foreign Policy, July 2015]
- The Big 5 and the Sad State of Foreign Policy in 2016 [Foreign Policy, Feb 2016
- Interview on America’s War Machine Molly Sinclair McCartney [C-SPAN, Nov 2015]