Daniel Rosen, State Dept Official Pleads Guilty to Stalking and Voyeurism Charges

Posted: 1:31 am EDT
[twitter-follow screen_name=’Diplopundit’ ]

 

In February 2015, we wrote about the arrest of a State/CT employee for alleged solicitation of a minor (see  State Dept’s Counterterrorism Official Arrested For Allegedly Soliciting Minor Online.

On March 16, WaPo reported that the same employee was arrested in the District and charged with taking videos of women through the windows of their homes.  According to the same report, Daniel Rosen’s security clearance had been revoked.  Before it was taken down, he indicated on his LinkedIn profile that he was the Director of Counterterrorism Plans, Programs and Policy at the State Department for over six years. As of February 25, the State Department telephone directly lists the Bureau of Counterterrorism’s Director for the Office of Programs and Policy located at 2509 as “vacant.”

On July 29, WUSA has the following update:

Daniel Rosen, 45, pleaded guilty to 11 charges of stalking and voyeurism on Wednesday in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia for incidents that happened between 2012 and 2014. According to law enforcement, he used his cell phone to record women in various stages of undress by aiming his cellular phone through their apartment windows in the areas of Mount Pleasant, the U Street Corridor, and Adams Morgan in Northwest D.C.
[…]
His attorney Bernard Grimm says Rosen is undergoing therapy and showed police the locations after they discovered the videos.

“Beyond shame, talk about a fall from grace here’s a guy who used to work at the State Department has a master’s degree and his life just spiraled out of control,” he said.

Rosen faces up to 11 years or a $11,000 fine when he is sentenced on October 9. Each of the counts of voyeurism and stalking carries a maximum penalty of one year and potential fines. He will be released and under home confinement, which will be very restricted, until his sentencing date.

WaPo citing an assistant U.S. attorney reports that Rosen’s filming stretched over a nearly three-year period, from early 2012 to late 2014, and that “he returned to some women’s homes as many as five times to film videos that, in some cases, lasted minutes.”

His case on soliciting a minor,  a separate charge,  continues in September.
.

.

.

.

#

Advertisements

2 responses

  1. DS, do you know if Rosen was a career Civil Servant, a schedule B or what? I am pretty sure he was not FS. I have the impression he was a schedule b hire who maybe even got an extension. Schedule b are not a supposed to be supervisors, but this was regularly violated.

    You could ask AFSA, just to keep them on the ball.

    Susan

    Sent from my iPad

    >

    • There are only something like 18 FS positions at the CT bureau. FS position rotate every 2-3 years as we know. His LinkedIn bio indicated that he was in his position since 2008 until February 2015 but did not include any overseas position. In all likelihood, he is a civil service employee. Though he could also be a contract employee or hired under some special employment category. State/CT has 101 direct hires and about 70 others hired under different authorities. Hard to get any info from AFSA’s comm people on anything; two inquiries on other issues to the new GB officials have so far been unacknowledged.