[twitter-follow screen_name=’Diplopundit’ ]
We did a blog post yesterday on former NEA Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Raymond Maxwell and Benghazi (see Former State Dept DAS Raymond Maxwell Alleges Benghazi Document Scrub Pre-ARB Investigation).
A Fox News report cited State Department spokesman Alec Gerlach denying the allegations:
“That allegation is totally without merit. It doesn’t remotely reflect the way the ARB actually obtained information,” he said in an email. He explained that an “all-points bulletin”-type request went out department-wide instructing “full and prompt cooperation” for anyone contacted by the ARB, and urging anyone with “relevant information” to contact the board.
“So individuals with information were reaching out proactively to the Board. And, the ARB was also directly engaged with individuals and the Department’s bureaus and offices to request information and pull on whichever threads it chose to. The range of sources that the ARB’s investigation drew on would have made it impossible for anyone outside of the ARB to control its access to information,” Gerlach said. He further noted that the leaders of the ARB have claimed they had unfettered access to information and people.
Looks like that’s the press guidance. Below is a clip of the Deputy Spokesperson of the State Department, Marie Harf, responding to a question on Maxwell’s allegations using similar words — full indirect access, completely without merit, completely ill-informed, ARB co-chairs are of impeccable credentials, period. So she did not call the State Department’s former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State a liar, she just called him “completely uninformed.” Except that only one of the them was in that room.
Here is the text:
MS. HARF: The ARB had full and direct access to State Department employees and documents. Any accounts to the contrary, like that one you mentioned, are completely without merit, completely ill-informed. It was – these reports show a complete lack of understanding of how the ARB functioned. It collected its own documents directly from anybody in the Department. There was a Department-wide call for information to be given directly to the ARB; that’s what happened. The ARB’s co-chairs, Tom Pickering and Admiral Mike Mullen, both public servants of impeccable credentials, have both repeated several times that they had “unfettered access” to all the information they needed, period.
One could argue that until he was dragged into this Benghazi mess, Mr. Maxwell, a career diplomat of over 20 years was also a public servant of impeccable credentials. One who initially did not even have access to what was written about him in the classified report of ARB Benghazi.
Of course, as can be expected, the GOP is embracing this new revelation, and the Dems are simply shrugging this off as old news. We know that Mr. Maxwell had a grievance case that was dismissed in June this year, we blogged about it. (See The Cautionary Tale of Raymond Maxwell: When the Bureaucracy Bites, Who Gets The Blame?). But the allegation about this scrub had apparently surfaced about a year ago. Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, confirmed to FoxNews.com on Monday that Maxwell told him and other lawmakers the same story when they privately interviewed him last year about the attacks and their aftermath. Folks will question that because Mr. Chaffetz is not the most impartial individual to collaborate that story. But if there were Democrats present in that interview, would anyone be wiling to say anything, anyway?
Media Matters deployed its rapid response ninja calling Mr. Maxwell a “dubious source”:
Maxwell himself is a dubious source. He was placed on administrative leave after the Accountability Review Board’s investigation found a “lack of proactive leadership” and pointed specifically to Maxwell’s department, saying some officials in the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs “showed a lack of ownership of Benghazi’s security issues.” A House Oversight Committee report released findings from the classified version of the ARB report, which revealed that the ARB’s board members “were troubled by the NEA DAS for Maghreb Affairs’ lack of leadership and engagement on staffing and security issues in Benghazi.”
Damn, where is that NEA DAS office for staffing and security issues in Benghazi here?
This will unfold with Raymond Maxwell either demonized or hailed a hero. We don’t think he’s either; he’s just a dedicated public servant unfairly tainted by Benghazi who wants his good name back. It looks like he’ll have to walk through fire before he gets a chance to do that.
We’ve heard about this document scrub allegation this past summer. We understand that there were others who were told about this incident last year. Some NEA folks reportedly also heard this story.
So why now?
Only Mr. Maxwell can answer that. We hope he gets to tell his full story under oath before the Select Committee.
While we refused to see a conspiracy under every rug in Foggy Bottom, and we did not support the creation of the Benghazi Select Committee, this changes it for us.
We just hope the Committee can keep its adult pants on and not turn the Benghazi hearings into a clownsport.
* * *
- Did Clinton staff scrub Benghazi docs? (foxnews.com)
- Benghazi Bombshell: Clinton State Department Official Reveals Details of Alleged Document Review (dailysignal.com)
- Former State Dept DAS Raymond Maxwell Alleges Benghazi Document Scrub Pre-ARB Investigation (diplopundit.net)
- State rejects report that key Benghazi documents were withheld (theblaze.com)
- The Cautionary Tale of Raymond Maxwell: When the Bureaucracy Bites, Who Gets The Blame? (diplopundit.net)