— Domani Spero
[twitter-follow screen_name=’Diplopundit’ ]
On March 3, 2014 we wrote about the death of
Deron Durron Swain, a State Department employee assigned to the Miami Passport Office as reported by Local10 in Miami. Click here for the CBS Miami report the following day. The June 2014 issue of State Magazine includes the following obituary:
The July/August issue of State Magazine includes the following obituary for Rayda Nadal, a Foreign Service OMS who died in Sweden. The notice did not mention that she died from the gas explosion while posted at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, but we know that the OMS injured in that explosion died in Linkoping, Sweden. See US Embassy Moscow: FS Employee Hurt in Apartment Building Gas Explosion Dies. If anyone has an update on the promised investigation, we’d like to know.
We still think that the State Department should be compelled to report the deaths of official Americans overseas. DOD identifies its casualties — name, rank, age, state of residence, date and place of death, and cause of death — why not the State Department?
At a minimum there ought to be an annual reporting of all deaths from unnatural causes of USG personnel and family members on government orders under chief of mission authority.
* * *
- US Embassy Moscow: FS Employee Hurt in Apartment Building Gas Explosion Dies (diplopundit.net)
- Police ID Man Who Died In North Dade Shooting (miami.cbslocal.com)
- US Embassy in Moscow expresses condolences to relatives of metro train crash victims (en.itar-tass.com)
- US diplomat among 4 hurt in Moscow apartment explosion (foxnews.com)
- US citizen injured in household gas blast in Moscow – Emergencies Ministry (en.itar-tass.com)
- Gas explodes in Moscow apartment building, where US embassy officials live (english.pravda.ru)
- US diplomat injured in Moscow apartment blast (nzherald.co.nz)
- U.S. citizen injured in gas explosion on Moscow’s Kutuzovsky Prospekt (rbth.com)
- ` US Citizen Working at US Embassy Hurt in Gas Explosion in Apartment House in Central Moscow ‘ (acenewsservices.com)
You must be logged in to post a comment.