— Domani Spero
[twitter-follow screen_name=’Diplopundit’ ]
On August 14, the State Department announced the ordered departure of family members not employed at U.S. Embassy Freetown from Sierra Leone. This follows the ordered departure of family members from U.S. Embassy Liberia on August 7. No Travel Warning has yet been issued for Sierra Leone as of this writing but we expect one coming out soon. Below is the statement of the U.S. Embassy Freetown ordered departure:
At the recommendation of the U.S. Embassy in Sierra Leone, the State Department today ordered the departure from Freetown of all eligible family members (EFMs) not employed by post. The Embassy recommended this step out of an abundance of caution, following the determination by the Department’s Medical Office that there is a lack of options for routine health care services at major medical facilities due to the Ebola outbreak.
We are reconfiguring the Embassy staff to be more responsive to the current situation. Our entire effort is currently focused on assisting U.S. citizens in the country, the Government of Sierra Leone, international health organizations, local non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and the Sierra Leonean people to deal with this unprecedented Ebola outbreak.
We remain deeply committed to supporting Sierra Leone and regional and international efforts to strengthen the capacity of the country’s health care infrastructure and system — specifically, the capacity to contain and control the transmission of the Ebola virus, and deliver health care.
According to the World Health Organization, a total of 128 new cases of Ebola virus disease (EVD) (laboratory-confirmed, probable, and suspect cases) as well as 56 deaths were reported from Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone between August 10-11, 2014. See the disease update from the WHO:
* * *
- U.S. Embassy Liberia Now on Ordered Departure For Family Members, New Travel Warning Issued (diplopundit.net)
- S.Leone Ebola doctor dies as W.Africa awaits experimental drugs (modernghana.com)
- In Pictures, Inside the Ebola Outbreak (mukeshbalani.wordpress.com)
- Sierra Leone seeks experimental Ebola drug: govt (modernghana.com)
- Ebola Fears: Ghana Considering Sierra Leone Request To Play In Accra (modernghana.com)
- 8 Chinese quarantined as panic grips Ebola-hit west Africa (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
You must be logged in to post a comment.