— Domani Spero
[twitter-follow screen_name=’Diplopundit’ ]
The U.S. Embassy in Oslo has just issued an emergency message to Americans in Norway based on the Norwegian Government’s announcement of a threat from foreign fighters returning to Norway from Syria:
United States Embassy Oslo, Norway | 24 July 2014
This morning, 24 July 2014, the Norwegian government announced that foreign fighters returned from Syria may be planning an attack in Norway over the coming days. The Norwegian police are not aware of where, when, or in what method this attack could take place. However, public gatherings, government facilities, businesses, and public transportation systems tend to be the targets of choice for terrorists and extremist groups.
The Embassy recommends the U.S. citizen community in Norway remain extra alert during this period. Please err on the side of caution over the coming days. Especially now, if you see anything threatening, dangerous, or concerning, please call the Norwegian Police at 112.
Read the full announcement here.
U.S. Embassy Oslo is currently headed by Chargé d’affaires Julie Furuta-Toy. The controversial nominee for U.S. ambassador to Norway, George Tsunis was announced on September 10, 2013 and has been stuck in the Senate awaiting for the full vote since February 4, 2014.
* * *
- Norway warns of ‘concrete threat’ linked to Syria (usnews.com)
- Norway: Terror threat against Norway (dailymail.co.uk)
- Norway on alert over feared ‘terrorist’ attack (news.yahoo.com)
- Norway in Syria-linked terror alert (bbc.co.uk)
- Norway on alert over feared ‘terrorist’ attack by extremists from Syria (rawstory.com)
- Norway: Terror threat ‘within days’ (stripes.com)
- US Embassy Oslo: Clueless on Norway, Murder Boards Next? (diplopundit.net)