State data indicated that the top-five recipients of State Afghanistan reconstruction awards by total obligations accounted for approximately $3.5 billion, or 87 percent, of total State reconstruction obligations. State awarded the remaining 13 percent of obligations to 766 recipients,who averaged about $676 thousand each in total obligations.
The top recipient of State reconstruction funding by total awards was Dyncorp International Limited Liability Corporation (Dyncorp). Dyncorp received approximately $2.8 billion in contracts, accounting for 69 percent of total State Department reconstruction awards. The majority of Dyncorp contracts were for governance and rule-of-law activities such training and equipping the Afghan National Police. Dyncorp contracts included police trainers, construction of police infrastructure, and fielding police equipment and vehicles. PAE Government Services Incorporated (PAE) received the second largest amount of total State reconstruction awards, receiving $598 million in contracts. PAE contracts supported development of the rule of law, including police training, counter narcotics advising, and justice sector development.
Of the total reported awards between the beginning of fiscal year 2002 and March 2013, 98 percent of awards by total value were scheduled to be complete by the end of calendar year 2013.
According to SIGAR, the U.S. Congress appropriated $96.57 billion between fiscal year (FY) 2002 and FY 2013 for Afghanistan reconstruction, principally for the Departments of Defense (DOD) and State (State) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). SIGAR analysis of Department of State data indicates that State obligated nearly $4 billion for reconstruction in Afghanistan between the beginning of fiscal year 2002 and March 2013.
Read more here (pdf).
* * *
- The News Without Transparency: Afghanistan on the brink of blacklisting (sunlightfoundation.com)
- SIGAR Slams Army Corps for Letting DynCorp Walk Off the Job (pogoblog.typepad.com)
- DynCorp Wins Big Pentagon Contract Despite “Unsatisfactory” Rating (blacklistednews.com)
- Shades of Iraq in Afghanistan? Problems with shoddy contracting work (csmonitor.com)
- Watchdog: US reconstruction funds go unspent in Afghanistan (stripes.com)
- SIGAR Seeks Debarment of Contractors Who Aid the Enemy (pogoblog.typepad.com)
You must be logged in to post a comment.