— Domani Spero
On March 6, the U.S. Senate confirmed a couple of executive nominations for the State Department:
Rose Eilene Gottemoeller of Virginia, to be Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security; Confirmed: 58-42
Secretary Clinton announced on February 7, 2012 that President Obama has designated Rose Gottemoeller as the Acting Under Secretary for Arms Control and International Security (T). As Acting Under Secretary she also remained in her role as Assistant Secretary for Arms Control, Verification and Compliance (AVC). She was sworn in as the Assistant Secretary of State for State/AVC on April 6, 2009. She was the chief U.S. negotiator of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) with the Russian Federation, which entered into force on February 5, 2011. Ms. Gottemoeller received a B.S. from Georgetown University, and a M.A. from George Washington University. She is fluent in Russian.
Michael A. Hammer, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Republic of Chile; Confirmed by voice vote.
Ambassador Hammer is a career member of the United States Senior Foreign Service. He previously served as the Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs from March 2012 to August 2013. He also served as Acting Assistant Secretary and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs. Ambassador Hammer grew up in Latin America, living in Honduras, El Salvador, Colombia, Venezuela, and Brazil. He is fluent in Spanish and speaks French and Icelandic. Ambassador Hammer and his wife Margret Bjorgulfsdottir have three children.
* * *
- Today at the SFRC: AM – Gottemoeller, Rose, Scheinman; PM – Broas, Lu, Sherman (diplopundit.net)
- Russia Negotiator To Get Promoted (thedailybeast.com)
- Senate confirms seven Obama nominees (washingtonpost.com)
- Cruz: On the nomination of Rose Gottemoeller to be Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security ()
- Senate “Nuclear” Fallout Snares State Department Nominees (diplopundit.net)