— By Domani Spero
According to the NYT, American forces in Tripoli captured on October 5, “a Libyan militant who had been indicted in 2000 for his role in the 1998 bombings of the United States embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. The militant, born Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai and known by his nom de guerre, Abu Anas al-Liby, had a $5 million bounty on his head; his capture at dawn ended a 15-year manhunt.”
Pentagon spokesman George Little said late Saturday the suspected terrorist is being “lawfully detained by the U.S. military in a security location outside of Libya.” Officials told ABC News Al-Liby is expected to be handed over to the FBI for a flight to New York where he will stand trial on the terror charges.
As of this writing, no new emergency message or alert has been issued for US Embassy Libya. Travel Warning – Libya dated May 9, 2013 remains in effect warning U.S. citizens of the risks of traveling to Libya and strongly advising against all but essential travel to Tripoli and all travel to Benghazi, Bani Walid, and southern Libya, including border areas and the regions of Sabha and Kufra.
- U.S. Mission Kenya Commemorates 15th Anniversary of August 7 Embassy Bombing
- 1998 US Embassy Bombing Suspect Fazul Abdullah Mohammed Killed in Somalia
- 1998 East Africa Embassy Bomber Gets Life Sentence Without Parole
- US Embassy Africa Bombings: ONE guilty verdict out of 286 counts spectacularly sucks!
- Former US Ambassador Prudence Bushnell writes about Planet Washington and a bitter lesson not learned
- Courting Remembrance