— By Domani Spero
The State Department Under Secretary for Management Patrick Kennedy sent a letter to employees on September 30 reiterating, that “Department offices, bureaus, and State elements at our posts overseas will continue to function for a limited period of time.”
In the September 30 Daily Press Briefing (DPB), State Department was going to stay open despite the shutdown. (See Shutdown News: State Department Stays Open and Operational. For Now.)
The MGT memo and the October 1 DPB now indicates that “a small number of offices” will be impacted initially by the shutdown.
When pressed for the affected offices, Ms. Psaki promised to get “a specific list.” But she added that “the way that it’s categorized, the impacted offices are those that operate with one-year funds that do not have available carryover funds to sustain operations. So they don’t have funds from the previous fiscal year and they are on one-year funding mechanisms.”
QUESTION: I’m just concerned, when you said they’ll be – continue to function for a time, I know you wouldn’t give weeks or days. But if I’m overseas and I need to see somebody at the embassy, I better get myself there right away?
QUESTION: What does “for a time” mean? I mean, “for a time” could be anything, correct?
MS. PSAKI: Well, I think I separated —
QUESTION: I mean, you said —
MS. PSAKI: Let me just finish. I separated out that as – the consular services as – I think as I said, since consular operations are fee-funded, there is significantly less chance at any point those individuals will be furloughed. And passport and consular services are fee-funded, which means they pay for themselves. So obviously, those operations will continue. Now, we can’t predict how long this will continue, so I’m just conveying that we’re taking it day by day.
We were looking for some clarity like this:
“SIGAR’s FY 2013 Appropriations provided $48.04M (post sequestration)5 in funds as multi-year funds. At present, SIGAR is projecting a carryover of$7.9M in unobligated funding to FY 2014, which will remain available through September 30, 2014. SIGAR will use this funding to delay the large disruption a lapse in funding would cause to SIGAR’s employees and operations. SIGAR projects the available funding will sustain current operations through December I, 2013 (61 days).”
We hope such clarity is forthcoming from the podium but we’re not holding our breath. So folks will be left guessing how long the carryover funds will last for the rest of the agency.
In any case, Ms. Psaki was also asked about furloughed employees:
QUESTION: Were there any employees that, let’s say, came today and had to leave after four hours, like was suggested by some?
MS. PSAKI: Well, again, I referred to just a minimal number impacted by one-year funded programs. But the vast majority of employees reported to work today, are here today. Given that we are part of – we are a national security agency and we represent American interests around the world, that’s where our staffing levels are at this point.
QUESTION: So it’s safe to assume that some people did come to work, spent two or three hours, and then were asked to go home?
MS. PSAKI: I did not imply that. I think there’s a small, minimal number that are impacted by the one-year programs. That’s – beyond that, I don’t have specific numbers.
We just don’t understand this. How hard is it to admit that yes, some employees had been furloughed? Here’s what we’ve learned so far:
The State Department’s Office of Inspector General (State/OIG) has approximately
50 200 employees. In one of its six offices (Inspection, Audit, Investigation, General Counsel, Public Affairs and EX) four out of approximately 50 employees were declared “excepted.” The rest were given letters notifying them that they had been furloughed. So on Tuesday, the first day of the shutdown, the State/OIG employees worked no more than four hours to “shutdown” then went home for an undetermined period of time. We understand that all inspections (save one already in the field) have been suspended.
That’s right. The office entrusted with ensuring that waste, fraud, and abuse does not occur within the Department was deemed “non-essential” and sent home without pay. (Also see Senate Confirms Steve Linick; State Dept Finally Gets an Inspector General After 2,066 Days).
Correction: State/OIG’s Inspection branch has approximately 65 employees; adding the number of staffers from Audit, Investigation and other units we are told totals approximately 200 employees. One branch has four employees designated as “excepted” out of 50 employees. We are guesstimating that about 10-12% of the total IG staff has been declared “excepted.” We will update the numbers if we get further clarification, officially or unofficially. The blogpost title has been corrected.
By contrast, the Office of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), also in the national security cone, has all its staff in Washington, DC and Afghanistan working normal. That’s a staff of about 190 including 50 deployed to the war zone considered “”emergency essential” (EE) personnel.”
In any case, everything else is reportedly open and operational in the State Department including the Foreign Service Institute. It looks like State/OIG was the only exception, so the spokesperson’s “specific list” should be very short. Most other offices are apparently on two-year funding which we are told should last (unconfirmed officially) “until next week.”
- Shutdown News: State Department Stays Open and Operational. For Now. (diplopundit.net)
- Senate Confirms Steve Linick; State Dept Finally Gets an Inspector General After 2,066 Days (diplopundit.net)
- Government shutdown: What’s closed, what’s open? (fox2now.com)
- How the Shutdown Will Affect Travelers (abcnews.go.com)