Protocol’s Capricia Marshall with Under Sectary for Management Patrick Kennedy met Senator Kerry at the C. Street entrance. The arrival ceremony includes a brief welcome speech from Susan Johnson, the president of AFSA and an introduction by Deputy Secretary Tom Nides (who actually bowed to 68th). On the front row “seats”, you might see several of the under secretaries and assistant secretaries, the Director General of the Foreign Service and the USAID administrator.
Below is Secretary Kerry’s arrival in Foggy Bottom in a 23:44 video. The text is here.
The State Department also announced:
The use of the three-letter initials is a routine practice over there. So Hillary was referred to as HRC. John F. Kerry would have been JFK. Except now, it seems he’ll be referred to as “JK” as the three letter initial is already taken.
WaPo’s In The Loop helpfully points out:
“…[N]ow that Kerry’s in the high-stakes world of international diplomacy, he might be in danger of sending mixed messages over a medium where meaning is easily lost. His sign-off, “JK,” for instance, is also online shorthand for “just kidding.”
Folks, think about it.
- Kerry: “I have big heels to fill” (wwlp.com)
- Kerry has “big heels to fill” at State Dep’t (seattletimes.com)
- Kerry: ‘Can a man actually run the State Department?’ (politico.com)
- Kerry Pledges Focus on Safety of Diplomatic Personnel (voanews.com)
- John Kerry Sworn In as the 68th Secretary of State (diplopundit.net)