U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton says farewell to State Department employees at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C., on February 1, 2013.
With Secretary Clinton in the photo above is Deputy Secretary Tom Nides (who is reportedly leaving his D/MR post), career diplomat and Deputy Secretary Bill Burns (rumored to be going to the UN sometime), and career diplomat and permanent Foggy Bottom fixture, Under Secretary for Management Patrick Kennedy (61st Secretary James Baker said recently that “Pat Kennedy was here way back in the dark ages when I was here. He’s been here ever since”). Remains to be seen if the 68th Secretary of State will keep Mr. Kennedy around or send him off to do an overseas tour.
Secretary Clinton’s farewell remarks before leaving Foggy Bottom is here. Remember that as Hillaryland empties out the upper floors, there will be multiple vacancies for Secretary Kerry to fill. Ditch usajobs.gov, get busy speed dialing!
- Kerry to face Clinton’s lasting popularity at State Department (washingtontimes.com)
- Watch Hillary Clinton Say Goodbye to the State Department (theatlanticwire.com)
- US Diplomatic Museum on the Horizon (charlieray45.wordpress.com)
- Hillary Clinton Says Goodbye…Until 2016? (abcnews.go.com)
- John Kerry: Obama Offered Me Secretary Of State Job One Week Before Susan Rice Withdrew (huffingtonpost.com)