“U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton presided over a ceremony to re-open the U.S. Consulate General Alexandria on July 15, 2012. The Consulate General provides consular services for American citizens, commercial and political parnership opportunities, cultural and educational programming, and military coordination within the […] eight governorates in Egypt’s North Coast and Delta region.”
American Center Alexandria has this announcement:
On July 15, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton presided over a flag raising ceremony to upgrade the American Center Alexandria to U.S. Consulate General. We will be closing this Facebook page, so please join our new page at: http://www.facebook.com/alexandria.usconsulate.
Of course, a new consulate general also gets a new consul general. Below via USCG Alexandria:
E. Candace Putnam became Director of the American Presence Post in Alexandria, Egypt, in January of 2012. She was appointed Consul General after the upgrade of the American Presence Post to a U.S. Consulate General in July 2012.
A career U.S. Foreign Service Officer, her most recent postings include serving as Deputy Chief of Mission in Beirut, the Cyrus Vance Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, Consul General in Peshawar, Pakistan, and Political Counselor in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Waaaaait! … that sounds familiar …. she was that DCM at US Embassy Beirut?
NOTE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF UTILITIES:
We will continue to monitor the State Department Recycling Program, something stinky there. Ay, dios mio! They’re not doing the recycling right!
- Egyptians throw tomatoes, chant ‘Monica’ at Sec. Clinton (rawstory.com)
- Egyptians pelt Clinton motorcade with tomatoes – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Secretary of State Clinton Visits Alexandria,Egypt to Chants of Monica, Monica (sidewalkschalk.com)
- Egyptian protestors taunt Clinton with cries of “Monica, Monica” (security.blogs.cnn.com)
- Secretary Clinton: Sleepless in Cairo With Zero Influence (salem-news.com)