Stephanie Mencimer in Mother Jones asks “The Birthers’ Next Target: Hillary Clinton?”Quick excerpt below:
Ever since Barack Obama started running for the White House, he’s been plagued by lawsuits from detractors who claim that he is not a natural-born citizen, and thus is ineligible to serve as president. Now the devoted conspiracy theorists of the so-called “eligibility movement” have a fresh target: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. And there’s a chance that the Supreme Court might hear their challenge.In January 2009, a longtime foreign service officer named David C. Rodearmel sued Hillary Clinton in federal court in DC arguing that an obscure provision of the Constitution blocks her from serving in Obama’s Cabinet because of her previous stint in the US Senate. This argument isn’t as nutty as those used in the numerous lawsuits disputing Obama’s citizenship—in fact, it previously prevented Orrin Hatch from becoming a Supreme Court justice.[…]Rodearmel himself says he’s just doing his best to protect the Constitution, although he’s no stranger to conservative political causes: In 2004, he donated $250 to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. And he’s supported by some familiar Clinton antagonists, namely the conservative legal group Judicial Watch, which filed numerous suits against both Hillary and Bill Clinton when they occupied the White House. His quest has also been cheered on by WorldNetDaily, the leading online promoter of the birthers’ cause, who seem eager to open up a new front in the “eligibility” fight.
Read the whole thing here. I hope the SCOTUS wrap this thing up quickly. I hate for this to last all the way to 2012, and then who knows — start over again?!
- Rodearmel v. Clinton: Appeal to SCOTUS Filed | Diplopundit Nov 19, 2009
- Rodearmel v. Clinton: Dismissed | Diplopundit Oct 30, 2009
- Rodearmel v. Clinton: Linguistics PhDs Wade In | Diplopundit Oct 26, 2009
- Rodearmel v. Clinton, et al: DOJ Files Motion to Dismiss | Diplopundit May 26, 2009
- Dragging Foggy Bottom to Court Feb 2, 2009
- Quickie: Emolument Clause and the Saxbe-fix in the Sauce Dec 12, 2008
Related articles by Zemanta
- Consitutional Suit Against Hillary Tossed by D.C. Federal Court (blogs.wsj.com)
- Could Hillary Clinton Become The Next Supreme Court Justice? (huffingtonpost.com)