– Domani Spero
First the good news! The British diplomats in D.C. enjoy a smokin’ good barbecue. Apparently, they had a a ‘White House BBQ’ to mark the 200th anniversary of a ‘rather unfortunate event in UK/US relations.’ The embassy even had a huge White House cake to commemorate the burning. Then tweeted about it:
Commemorating the 200th anniversary of burning the White House. Only sparklers this time! pic.twitter.com/QIDBQTBmmL
— British Embassy (@UKinUSA) August 24, 2014
In related news, the embassy’s social media ninjas in D.C. shortly thereafter had to apologize for their tweet. It looks like some in the Twitterverse did not appreciate the joke even if it came 200 years later with cake. Some complained that this was bad form, some blamed David Cameron. No, no one has thought of blaming the Queen yet.
We hope they’re not going to fire the intern. Anyone from Foggy Bottom attended the barbecue?
Apologies for earlier Tweet. We meant to mark an event in history & celebrate our strong friendship today http://t.co/gs3heJDMzt
— British Embassy (@UKinUSA) August 25, 2014
* * *
- British Embassy celebrates the 200th anniversary of burning the White House (theverge.com)
- British Embassy Trolls All Of The United States With Epic War Of 1812 Tweet (buzzfeed.com)
- Americans furious as Brits party on 200th anniversary of White House burning (washingtontimes.com)
- British Embassy in Washington sparks fury after holding a party to ‘commemorate’ 200th anniversary of the burning of the White House (dailymail.co.uk)
- News story: British Embassy Washington and our consulates on social media (gov.uk)